- Make sure you understand the set
rules for the classroom and
those rules we set for
Independent Reading Time.
- When choosing a book, do not take time to discuss books with
- Choose books that appeal to you, by reading the back cover
first, then proceed to your seat and read the first page. Return
it or sign it out by following the
five finger rule.
- Select a place to sit in the classroom. I allow you to take
in your pillow. Do not sit with a friend at this time.
- Learn the proper care of your novel.
You are responsible, if it is damaged, to replace it.
- Be a good listener during the mini-lesson and during
conferences with peers and the teacher.
- Make sure to use a soft tone of voice when you are
discussing the book during group share activities.
- Set some reasonable goals for yourself and
check to see if
your reading is improving.
- Make sure you have your responses ready during a conference
with the teacher.
- Get to know the genres
- Keep up your
reading log genre sheet, making sure you fill in all the
- Ask questions that are on topic during all activities.